Memorabilia UK grew out of owner Mark Riddle’s own personal passion for autograph collecting at various theatre and stage doors when he was a teenager during the 1970s. After a successful earlier career in Transport & Logistics and with the onset of the internet during the 1990s, his hobby became a full time business, launching its first autograph related website in 1998.
* As any autograph collector will tell you: “it can often be a very tedious and frustrating experience waiting for hours in the cold and rain” before any given celebrity eventually appears outside that darkened stage door. Those autograph collectors have to be made of stern stuff as they will most often have been told by stage-hands and minders that “so and so” has already left the building earlier by an alternative exit etc etc. In a few short seconds you may or may not actually get to meet your hero, you may or may not get that autograph, it may or may not be a good clear example and that person may or may not give his or her time courteously. The greatest years to be an autograph collector were unquestionably the 1930s through to the 1980s. Celebrities were more accessible then than today, time constraints less, bodyguards fewer, venues smaller, collectors were respectful genuine fans (not in it for profit) and the humble pencil / ballpoint and ink-pen wrote legibly.
* The resulting effect and the natural conclusion to the paragraph above is that this half century (the 1930-1980s) became my main field of interest and this iconic era is from where the majority of our autograph inventory originates. I like to specialise and have much experience & expertise within 1960-80s Pop Music. I also carry a wide-ranging portfolio relating to all forms of alternative Music / TV / Entertainment / Vintage / Sport / Speed and Pioneers autographs. All of my stock is very extensively researched as for me the standard COA supplied by most is simply not enough and I do believe in going the extra mile that other dealers often do not. Most of our stock is purchased in its raw state (autograph books etc) direct from the original collector and we are therefore usually able to include detailed written history and provenance along with our Certificated Guarantee. This is interesting and acts as an additional reassurance to the buyer who can be more confident in the knowledge and enjoy the security that their purchase is genuine.
* We are proud to be UACC Registered Dealer No 222 of The Universal Autograph Collectors Club: the largest and most respected worldwide autograph group. We are one of only around 30 UK based dealers to hold this distinction. Full details of the club and their dealer list can be found at www.uacc.org
* We are approved dealers & members of AFTAL (The Autograph Fair Trade Association); this is a specialist UK based dealer group working with the police and trading standards to convict rogue traders. Full details on their website at www.aftal.org.uk
* Over the past 15 years our ever growing reputation within the autograph industry has led to numerous newspaper and media appearances giving advice on BBC Radio 2 / BBC Radio Sheffield / BBC Radio Lincolnshire / BBC2 TV / Channel 4 and Sky Living TV channels. We have also hired out autographed props for media usage.